Ribadu speaks on report he blamed government officials for banditry

Nuhu Ribadu, a former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, has blamed most of the country’s challenges on fake news peddled by the social media.

Ribadu spoke on the development in the nation’s capital, Abuja, on Sunday at a news conference he addressed.

He was reacting to reports in the social media that he accused some top government functionaries of sponsoring banditry in the country.

The former EFCC boss said it was time for him to clear the air on the issue, which he said had been on for some time. He said: “July 2019 was the first time I came out to know about it, and I came out with a very strong denial, saying that it was a fabrication and had no basis.

“It was a piece of rubbish with very bad grammar and factual destruction, but indeed very damaging.

“I reacted very strongly after that, it didn’t stop and I was forced again to issue a statement denying it.

“I thought that would have been the end of it, but not long afterwards, it started coming back again and I am worried and concerned.”

Ribadu said globally, people who were worried and concerned and wanted to fact-check had been getting in touch with him, adding that he had continued to respond to the issue every single day.

He said: “I want to again deny in the strongest term and send a message to everybody to disregard the statements, it is not fair, it is not just.

“It is very sinful for you to create something from no where and attribute it to an innocent person who doesn’t know anything about it, I have nothing to do with that message.

“This is my strongest denial, everybody should please disregard the statement: it is not from me, it is not true.”

Ribadu said he had been inundated by messages from friends and associates who wanted to find out if the tweets on the issue were actually from him.

He, however, said he had made a formal complaint …