Falz calls out Gov Sanwo-Olu, says there is no “March for peace” without justice

Nigerian rapper Folarin ‘Falz’ Falana has called out the governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu over his proposed ‘walk of peace.’

The rapper had earlier shunned the call by the governor to join him and other celebrities for the walk of peace.

In a post shared via his Instagram page on Wednesday, December 1, 2021, the music star called out the governor over his planned trip.

“Please tell your governor that there is no “March for peace” without justice. He is still trying to deny the massacre that happened. All the lives that were wiped away unjustly,” he captioned the video of the governor addressing the press.

“You set up a panel to investigate the matter. Panel don tell you say people die by the hands of soldiers and policemen wey una send. Una still no want no want do the right thing. And you’re here asking for a ‘peace march’ DISGRACEFUL.”

It would be recalled that the rapper had called the governor’s ‘walk of peace’ disrespectful.

Sanwo-Olu had sued for peace and harmony, Tuesday, as he broke his silence on the report of the Lagos judicial panel of inquiry into police brutality and the Lekki tollgate shooting of unarmed, peaceful protesters.

The panel’s report indicted the army, police and the Lagos State Government.

The panel had also submitted that what transpired at the Lekki tollgate on October 20, 2020, was a massacre.

Mr Macaroni, Falz lead Lekki toll gate #ENDSARS memorial protest

Popular comedian Mr Macaroni and activist singer Falz are leading the car procession at the #EndSARSMemorial protest at Lekki tollgate in Lagos.

They showed up at the procession weaving Nigerian flags and shouting #ENDSARS.

The process at the toll gate, which was the epic center of the nationwide protests last year, was despite a ban on public gathering and heavy security presence.

Macaroni, who was in a Lexus SUV, told reporters Nigeria must listen to the demands of youths and embrace good governance.

Falz, who also drove himself, said Nigerians must learn to stand up for their rights.

 …

MURIC Backs Down From Suing Falz Over ‘This Is Nigeria’ Video

The Muslim Rights Concern, MURIC, has backed down on its plans to sue popular Nigerian rapper Falz over his controversial This is Nigeria video.

The Muslim group had earlier given Falz a 7-day ultimatum to take down the viral video. However in a new statement released by the group, they are backing down from the threat and want the case to be handled by the censor’s board.

Read the statement below:

The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) last week resolved to sue Folarin Falana (Falz the Bahd Guy), a Nigerian artist, who produced the video song titled ‘This is Nigeria’ in which a Fulani man was seen beheading somebody. The video also featured hijab-wearing female choreographers dancing the ‘shaku-shaku’ (a dance associated with drug). A seven-day ultimatum was given for the withdrawal of the video and an apology failing which a legal tussle would be launched.

Our office has since been inundated with solidarity visits, while our telephone lines have been flooded with a deluge of calls from members, friends, well-wishers, journalists and other concerned Nigerians, majority of whom are of the Islamic faith.

In view of the intervention of these well-meaning Nigerians, counseling from several quarters and commitments given by us to those who interfaced with us on this matter, an emergency meeting of MURIC’s Think-Tank was convened on Sunday, June 10, 2018 to review the situation.

In deference to pleas made by well-meaning Nigerians, in order to keep faith with our avowed motto (Dialogue, Not Violence) and to further confirm that MURIC is a listening, mature and responsible organization committed to promoting peace in Nigeria, the Think-Tank resolved to drag the artist to government agencies saddled with the responsibility of censoring films and videos. It is not a U-turn but a sudden change in tactics.

This will have a more enduring impact not only on Falz but the entire entertainment industry. It will also make the agencies sit up to their responsibilities and inject a huge dose of discipline in the music and film industries in general.

MURIC expresses …

“We Are Not Withdrawing ‘This Is Nigeria’ Video” – Falz’s Management Replies MURIC

The management team of Nigerian rapper Falz, have reacted to an ultimatum given to the singer to take down his ‘This is Nigeria’ video or face actions from them.

An Islamic group, Muslims Rights Concern (MURIC), yesterday released a statement ordering Falz to take down the video which they claim ridicules their religion due to some girls seen wearing hijab and dancing shaku shaku in the video.

However, Falz’s management have reacted to the ultimatum given to him by MURIC. According to them, the video won’t be taken down. They advised the group to head to court to address their grievances and that they are ready to meet them there.

They said,

“We have nothing to say. We are not withdrawing the video neither are we commenting on their claims. If they (MURIC) have any grievance they can head to court and we will meet them”.

 

‘Having girls dance Shaku Shaku in Hijab in my music video was intentional, is there any law against it?” Falz

Nigerian Rapper Folarin Falana aka falz who has come under fire from many Muslim groups and individuals for using ladies dressed in Hijab for his viral video ‘This is Nigeria’ has just reacted. He was even given a seven days ultimate by a Muslim group to take down the song. Read Here.

Speaking as a guest on Linda Ikeji TV’s show, Verified, hosted by Tope Olowoniyan, Falz  spoke about his worries for Nigeria and how people missed the point of his new music video ”This is Nigeria”.

Controversies have continued to trail the music video because he used video vixens dressed in Hijab.

When asked if the video vixens dancing Shaku Shaku in Hijab was intentional, Falz said

”It was very intentional. We continue to forget or neglect the innocence of the girl child and because of all the issues that wer are having, the kidnappings and the killings especially in the Northern part of the country, the Chibok girls and very more recently the Dapchi girls, It is very disturbing and we don’t often talk about them and I was a bit surprised to hear people say why would you put girls in Hijab to dance Shaku Shaku…common, is there anything wrong with people dancing because they are wearing Hijabs? Is their any law against that?

Watch a clip from the interview below;

Muslim group give a 7-day ultimatum; demands the withdrawal of Falz’s ‘This is Nigeria’ video

In the recently released video, some girls dressed in hijab were seen dancing the “shaku shaku” dance.

Responding to criticisms that trailed the video, Falz explained that the girls were a representation of the abducted Chibok girls still in Boko Haram captivity.

But MURIC, in a statement by Ishaq Akintola, its director,  said the dancers in the video in no way depict the situation of the girls.

The group also condemned “a character that dressed like a Fulani man, who suddenly abandoned his traditional guitar and beheaded a man” featured in the video.

Describing the video as “thoughtless, insensitive and highly provocative,” MURIC said it could brew religious and ethnic crisis.

It also said the video is spiteful and intended to denigrate Islam and Muslims.

“MURIC rejects Falz’ explanation that the girls in hijab in his ‘Shaku Shaku’ dance symbolize the Chibok girls because nothing in the video indicates that the girls represent the Chibok girls,” the statement read.

“At least none of the Chibok girls have been seen dancing like a drunkard. They are always in pensive mood. Do they have any cause to be dancing? Are they happy?

“The video manifests ethnic bias against Fulanis while it ignored the criminal activities of ethnic militia of the Middle Belt who have also massacred Fulanis and rustled their cattle in their thousands.

“It is a hate video. This video has the potential of causing religious crisis of unprecedented dimension.

“It is an assault on the self-dignity of every Muslim. It is freedom of expression gone haywire.

“We therefore demand its withdrawal and an apology to Nigerian Muslims within seven days or the authors and their agents will face legal action if they fail to comply.

“Only the scenes portraying police brutality and the money-swallowing snake in the video are near the truth.”

The group called on security agencies and the National Film And Video Censors Board (NFVCB) to clamp down on the video.

“We call the attention of security agencies to this hate action,” the statement continued.

“We remind Nigerians …

‘We didn’t censor Falz’s “This is Nigeria” before it was released’ – Nigerian Film Censors Board

National Film And Video Censors Board (NFVCB), Abuja, has reacted to Falz’ hit music video ‘this is Nigeria’ in which he had female choreographers dancing Shaku-Shaku in Hijab and addressed several other issues affecting the nation.

The Director, Licensing Department of the NFVCB, Cornell Agim ,the agency in charge of censorship and rating of music videos and movies revealed to veteran entertainment journalist Rasheed Abubaka, that Falz didn’t bring his music video for licensing and rating before he released it to the public and unfortunately, the agency’s monitoring team hasn’t reported the video to the directorate.

He said that, though it is their job is to censor and rate videos before they get to the public, they can’t be everywhere. That is why journalists and members of the public affected by the visuals are expected to notify them. With that, they can investigate the videos.

In his words, ‘the agency do censorship and rating of music video before it gets to the general public. We ensure we do analysis of those videos. We also try as much as possible not to tamper with the creative intention of any artiste except they come with some obscenity, which we most time kick against. BUT Falz didn’t bring his music video for licensing before it gets to the public. As the Director of Licensing, I haven’t seen the video. Same as the agency. None of our monitoring team has brought it to my notice. Hence, we didn’t censor it before it gets to the public.

He added that,

‘the truth is, most time we can’t reach out. We are handicap because we are not everywhere and we can’t be everywhere. That’s why people like you (journalists) should notify us once you see things like that. Bring them to our notice and we’ll investigate it and bring the perpetrators to book. Often time, we get complain from Nigerians, saying what’s the agency doing? We are trying our best though our best might not be good enough. That’s why we need people like you

Diddy Reacts To Falz “This Is Nigeria”

Popular American singer Sean John Combs, also known as Diddy has reacted to Falz Nigerian version of global hit track, This is America.

Diddy reposted the video of Falz Nigerian version of the song on his Instagram page and captioned it;

@falzthebahdguy#nigeria LETS GO!!!!!!!

Childish Gambino‘s latest hit track This Is America, has been remixed by Falz as he transposes the track into the Nigerian context with this cover titled This Is Nigeria.

The track was was produced by Wande Thomas, and the video was directed by Prodigeezy.

In the video, Falz addresses issues plaguing the country, from Fulani herdsmen, Chibok/Dapchi girls kidnap, Internet fraud, Police brutality (SARS), Money laundering, votes rigging and so much more.

 …